Saturday, June 04, 2005

You never know until you try!!

I made it through my first week in Oxford, Mississippi! I'm LOVING it. It's amazing how you hear such awful stories about a place, worry about what to expect when you actually get there, and then start to fall in love with it the moment you step foot on the ground. My new life motto is, "You never know until you try!" What if I had listened to the many stories I heard? What if I decided not to come? I would have missed out on SO much. Yes, there is A LOT of history here in Mississippi that truly has affected the way things are still today, but as Dr. Mullins said during Orientation a few days ago, "You love [Mississippi] not because of [the history], but despite."

The drive down here was about 12 hours and it was wonderful... only because I had the best company a girl could have had. My dad and my younger sister rode with me!! We left Clayton, NC (my hometown) around 8:30am last Saturday morning and arrived in Memphis, TN around 9:00pm. We stayed there at the airport at the Radisson for the night, which was quite interesting. This hotel actually had a basement floor and guess who lucked up and had to stay down there for the night?!? US!! It was crucial!! It wasn't all fancy and fixed up like the other, "regular floors". We opened the door to the room, which was a normal hotel room, locked it, and didn't go anywhere else for the night! Talk about being scared of even going outside! It was too funny!! We called my mom (who was at home in Clayton and had made the reservations) and she was crackin' up!! Good times... :)

The next morning we woke up and drove another hour and about 20 minutes to Oxford, Mississippi. We had arrived in time for me to check-in, move my luggage into my room, grab something to eat, and head back to Memphis for my dad and sister to catch their flight home. I am living on campus at Ole Miss in Stewart Hall. The campus is beautiful and I'm finding my way around quite well. Okay, so we got something to eat at Subway and hopped back in the car and headed for the airport. The time had come for me to say goodbye to my family and begin my summer all alone in Mississippi. It was hard saying goodbye because I wish they could stay there with me for at least a while longer. I got my hugs and kisses and I was on my way back to Oxford. I called my mom and told her that my dad and sister were on the plane and that I would call later to make sure they made it home.

Okay, so my family made it home safely, I finally unpacked and rode around Oxford for a while. My director, Ben Guest was in the lobby of the guy's dorm (Brown) at 5pm, so I went over to meet him. It was great to finally be able to put a face with a name. We had been in contact via email and telephone for a couple of months, so I had been looking forward to actually meeting him. Some of the first year teachers of the program had arrived that day (Sunday) also, so we went out to eat at Applebee's. It was nice to hear the stories of where they came from and how they came about the Teacher Corps program. Later that night I met my roommate, Keila, who is my soror from Howard. How wonderful!!

Monday morning I met with Ben to talk about the internship, how things will go, and to get my office key. Yep! I have an office!! :) Orientation began on Tuesday and I sat in on everything. I learned a lot about the program itself and history of Mississippi. Most of the teachers will be teaching in the Delta, so it was great to hear about how it is there and hopefully I'll be able to visit some of the school placements this summer.

All in all, I'm absolutely loving this program. It blows my mind how much of a difference one teacher can make in the lives of even only a few students. As Ben says... This program works to change the lives of children, even if it means doing it one by one. I'm very happy that I applied for this internship (Thank you Whitney Webb for talking to me at Carolina's Career Fair! Wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you!). This is definitely a summer that I will never forget!

I miss home, my family, linesisters, and friends SO much. Thank God for the internet! :) I'm able to keep in touch with everyone!

I'm taking the Praxis II in Biology next weekend. Pray for me! If I pass it now, I won't have to worry about it when I apply to the program in the fall. If I am able to actually do this program next year, I would like to teach biology and in order to do that, I have to pass that exam before I'd start teaching.

From student teaching to working in my office, I'm getting all kinds of experience. Let's see what week 2 has in store!!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ben Guest said...

You're doing a great job.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ginny, I am vey proud of you, keep up the good work & keep smiling!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Rell said...

good stuff, glad you're getting your North Carolina break

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Ronda said...

Ginny I'm glad you're enjoying this trip and are proving this experience to be a worth wild one. Take care and be blessed. OO-OOP!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com
Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

home builder in mississippi

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Rotary Washing Lines said...

It is always daunting when going some where new, there are a million things that rush through your head, once there all the anxiety seems to have been a waste of time, it is human nature that we fear what we do not know and are wary of new things and places but it seems you quickly adapted and started to fit in almost straight away.

1:34 AM  
Anonymous alexander rose garden furniture said...

Keep up the good work, hope it is a great adventure.

3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home